What is safest for baby?
The number one thing to remember is: Back to sleep is best.
- Place baby on his back, alone, in his own space (crib or bassinet).
- For newborns, they should sleep in a room where you sleep but not in the same bed.
- Place baby in lightweight clothing. Caregivers can use a wearable blanket or sleep sack but no loose bedding, pillows or blankets.
- Ensure baby’s crib meets current safety regulations (i.e. no drop-down rails)
- Firm mattress with tightly fitted sheet
- No bumper pads or mesh liners
- No loose blankets, bedding or pillows
- No toys or stuffed animals
- Smoke-free home
Places Baby Should NOT Sleep
- On a caregiver
- In an adult bed
- In a car seat
- On a couch
- On a chair
Don’t forget to talk to your childcare provider about their sleep practices for your child.
Help educate grandparents, babysitters, friends and family to keep baby safe.