E-Cigarette Safety

Is your baby exposed to e-cigarettes at home or when with another caregiver?   A report inscullncrossbones the New England Journal of Medicine told of a 10 month old child who drank some of the refill vial of nicotine for the e-cigarettes.  He had vomiting, increased heart rate and loss of muscle control, but luckily didn’t lose consciousness or have seizures.  He had drunk from a vial that has 1.8 percent nicotine.  An adult, 200 pound person can die from drinking just a teaspoon of that 1.8 percent nicotine solution.  Now one teaspoon isn’t much, and any size child can easily drink that much with one swallow. So, it is absolutely important for these NOT to be where curious hands can find them.  And don’t forget that this nicotine liquid can be absorbed through the skin. So spilling a little, then touching your child, can also lead to poisoning.

In fact, it is recommended that if the liquid nicotine gets on the skin, the exposed area needs to be immediately washed with lukewarm water for 20 minutes.  That is a long time to try to wash the skin of a bawling, squalling, squirming child.  Of course if there is ANY chance it was swallowed, you should probably go to the ER or at least call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Speaking of the Poison Control Calls, The numbers of calls have dramatically increased, even in the last year, with over half the calls being with the kids under 5 years of age. Keep TSK save and give that kid a hug.